Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Weekly weighing is new for me

I have been overweight and either thinking about or participating in some "I need to lose weight" mentality since I was 13. In that entire time.... I have never consistently weighed in on any particular schedule. I used to write my weight down in my journal...or calendars and to the best of my ability I have gathered up all that data to an excel spreadsheet so that I can see the weight data since 1999 when I wrote it down. It was very hit and miss... every day for 2 weeks....and then nothing for months.

My best attempt at weight loss and being healthy was 5 years ago when I was turning 30. I consistently ate better and exercised over the course of 6 months and kept the 30 lbs off for another 6 until I ended up having gallbladder surgery. Even then... weight dates were daily...then monthly..then nothing.. Nothing consistent about it-EVER. Which really surprises me because I have read/tried ALOT of things out there.

I am participating in a Virtual Biggest Loser contest this summer (the whole reason for this blog for myself) and weigh in is every Tuesday. It has been an eye opening experience.. actually having a weigh in...and it actually affecting choices I make (especially the day or two before.) It makes you be accountable to a degree...which is something I need. I still weigh myself a few times during the week at times...but having a schedule...those dates printed on the sidebar of my blog waiting for the weekly results...is helping me.

I know that I don't know it all...but I was surprised by the simplicity of this one!!

What tips/tricks/ideas have helped/surprised you?

2 comments:

  1. hmmmmmm i think everything pushes me one way or the other. it is all in choice when you wake up in the morning. are you going to be healthy today or just eat everything in site kind of thinking lol somedays are definitely better than others :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that interesting that weight is so important to us to mark it down everywhere? I have the same weights and measurements throughout the years in my journals and calendars.

    I don't know if it's a trick but making the connection that I'm ready to lost the weight. I can tell when I've lost the fire and I'm just skimming along. When I have the connection I feel more calm and I'm just going about my life and losing weight just becomes part of my habits.

    ReplyDelete